Aug 8, 2011

#BDS: In support of Indian artists protesting against #Israel

"In the story “Indian artists to boycott major show in Israel” (published in The Hindu on August 3), my views have been presented in a way that completely belies my life-long career in art based on the conviction that art and politics (and most certainly culture and politics) are interlocked in complex ways. And that artists can make a significant contribution to ongoing history through protests, boycotts, refusals, and direct address within and beyond their art practice.


Some bare facts: I signed the Palestine Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel in 2010, which makes my stand against the state of Israel/in support of the Palestinian cause, self-evident. Added to that, I am not invited to show in the forthcoming exhibition of Indian art in Tel Aviv, so there cannot be even a remote reason for me to renege or prevaricate on the issue of a boycott."
Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment